Latest Info

Japan - Schedule of Small Volume Permit for 2021 is available now!

According to the Japanese Chemical Substances Control Law, all new chemical substances must be notified by manufacturers/importers and evaluated by the authorities* prior to manufacture/import.


There is no threshold volume, therefore you always need to check the status  - existing or new - when you export chemical substances to Japan. If your import volume is less than 1t/y, Small Volume Permit (SVP) is applicable. Your importer should become a notifier for SVP, but you don’t need to disclose the chemical identity to your importer with our help.

If you wish to hide the chemical identity from your importer, there are only 4 chances when you are able to notify the authorities in 2021.  

Submission windows

  • 13 - 20 January 2021
  • 1 - 4 June 2021
  • 1 - 6 September 2021
  • 1 - 6 December 2021

Please find here the original document (Japanese only) published by the competent authorities.

If you submit to the authorities at a different period, then the one mentioned above, you will be required to disclose the chemical identity because of the difference of submission procedure.

If you miss it, you can’t export new chemical substances to Japan until the SVP is complete. We suggest that you contact us at least 1.5 months before each submission window.

Please feel free to contact us in order to be compliant with Japanese regulations!

*Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW) and Ministry of the Environment (MOE)

More News on
Dr Michael Cleuvers
Dr Michael Cleuvers
Director Products & Markets